KnitMeter

Monday, October 4, 2010

Infant Mouse Hat




I made this last week for a friend's new baby. I looked online and couldn't find a pattern I really liked so I made my own. Keep in mind that while I've designed alot of my own knitting patterns, I've never really written them out and shared them. So if you have any questions on it, just send me an email or post here. :) Sizing is easily adapted by using smaller or larger weight yarn and/or adjusting needle size.

Materials :
About 1.5-2 oz of worsted weight wool I used Cascade 220 in white
A small amount of pink worsted weight wool.
Size US#4 and US#6 16" Circular and Dpns (or size to get gauge)
Yarn needle
Stitch Marker

Gauge :
5.5 sts per inch on larger needle

Size :
Roughly 4-6 months, approximately 18" head circumference.

Directions :
Cast on 88 sts on smaller needles. I used the Twisted German Cast on for it's stretchiness. Knit in 2X2 rib for 1.5".

Change to larger needles and knit stockinette until it measures 5" from cast on.

Decreases rounds (switching to dpns when necessary)
Rnd 1 *Knit 9 sts, k2tog* repeat to end of rnd.
Rnd 2 Knit even across.
Rnd 3 *Knit 8 sts, ssk* repeat to end of rnd.
Rnd 4 Knit even across.
Rnd 5 *Knit 7 sts, k2tog* repeat to end of rnd.
Rnd 6 Knit even across.
Rnd 7 *Knit 6 sts, ssk* repeat to end of rnd.
Rnd 8 *Knit 5 sts, k2tog* repeat to end of rnd.
Rnd 9 *Knit 4 sts, ssk* repeat to end of rnd.
Rnd 10 *Knit 3 sts, k2tog* repeat to end of rnd.
Rnd 11 *Knit 2 sts, ssk* repeat to end of rnd.
Rnd 12 *Knit 1 st, k2tog* repeat to end of rnd.
Rnd 13 K2tog to end of round. End of leaving 6" tail. Put tail on yarn needle and thread through the remaining stitches on the needles. Pull tightly and secure inside hat.

Ear Directions (Make Two) :
Using a dpn, cast on 5 sts.
Turn dpn with right side facing you and upside down so that the live stitches are down and the bumps of the cast on are facing up. Using another dpn, pick up and Knit 4 sts in those bumps.
Using a third dpn and starting on the 1st needle again (5 sts on this needle), Kfab, knit 4 sts.
On 2nd Needle (4 sts) Kfab, knit 2, Kfab in last stitch.
You should know have 6 stitches on each needle, 12 stitches total.
Next round - Kfab, K across to last st, kfab.
Rep this round on each needle until you have 12 stitches on each needle - 24 sts total.
Then increase like this on every OTHER row until you have 18 sts on each needle, 36 sts total.
Knit even until Ear measures 2" from cast on.
K 1, ssk, knit across to last 3 sts on first needle, k2tog, k 1. Repeat for 2nd needle.
You should have 32 sts total now - 16 on each needle.
Duplicate stitch using the pink yarn on the ears to make the inner ear.
If you want stiffer ears, you can lightly stuff with polyfill before closing. I like floppy ears, so I didn't.

Graft ear stitches together and secure to top side of hat.

All done, and ready for the cutie! Feel free to use my pattern to sell the hats made from it :) Just please link here if you do.

9 comments:

Hadeel said...

woooow this is an amazing pattern for knitting such a great bonneh , I've already start knitting it , but about dpn needle I don't have enough knowledge about it , can I knit the ears with the regular needle ?
and what do u mean about (knit even across) ? maybe it's a simple question but I've just start learning knitting from the net and I have already made 2 jackets and booties for my little baby girl
thanks,
Hadeel

Mellie said...

I love this... Very Cute.

Judi said...

Double pointed needles will make it much easier to knit in the round and to graft the stitches together on the ears. You can magic loop them though if you prefer. Knit even across means just to knit to the end of the round.

Glad you enjoy my pattern :)!

Unknown said...

Wow this is adorable! How would you change it for an older child?

Kimberly said...

I'm unsure of what you mean:
"Turn dpn with right side facing you and upside down so that the live stitches are down and the bumps of the cast on are facing up. Using another dpn, pick up and Knit 4 sts in those bumps."

can you clarify taht for me?? I'm unsure how to knit those stitches with the BUMPS on top??

Are you just using 4 of those stitches & putting htem on the 2nd needle??

you can email me at kimberlydklatt at yahoo dot com

Judi said...

Hi Kimberly, I just emailed you an answer to your question. Lmk if it still doesn't make sense.

To adjust for an older child, simply go up needle sizes, or use a thicker yarn. You could also take your gauge and multiply it by the inches of circumference of the wearer's head to get your stitch count. The rest is pretty easy to modify according. Or just tell me the head circumference and I will do the math for you.

HappyME said...

I love this. I would expect the ears would work on an adult hat? Or maybe the whole thing needs adjustment. I'd really like to do this for a mouse-loving (good) friend.

Thanks for posting it.

Jennifer Martinez said...

It wasn't clear when I should change to the DPNs? Can I use DPNs for the whole thing?

Judi said...

Jennifer, I recommend switching to dpns when the circumference of the hat gets too small to comfortably knit on circulars. You can use dpns for the whole hat if you would prefer as well as using magic looping or two circulars.